Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I lOvE Alma! Why are we here? What is the purpose of this life? How can a faith in Jesus Christ help me? These are just the tip of the ice burg of questions to the soul answered throughout The Book of Mormon. Yesterday I was reading in Alma 34 and it talks about why we are here. I love the lines "...now is the time and the day of your salvation" (vs. 31). "...this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity..." (vs. 34).  "this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors" (vs. 33). So why are we here? Well it tells us right there! I love that chapter!
Today I was reading in Alma 36 and I LoVe this chapter too! This chapter talks about how a faith in Christ can and will help us if we allow it to. In this chapter Alma is talking to his son Helaman. He shares an experience he had earlier in his life when he came to know Christ and was "born of God". He shares the exquisite joy and peace that came from accepting Jesus Christ and allowing the healing power of the Atonement to take place in him. I love how he describes his experience; "I dremembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world. Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, ahave mercy on me, who am bin the cgall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting dchains of edeath. And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my apains bno more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more. And oh, what ajoy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain! Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy" (Alma 36:17-21).
Our faith in the Savior brings joy, peace, love, and the ability to be forgiven. We can repent. We can overcome and be forgiven for our sins! I have felt the amazing powers of the Atonment work in my life. I have felt that forgiveness and cleansing power. It is real. I know that our Savior truly did live and die for me, and for you. He truely has felt everything each of us has ever has and will go through-each temptation, each pain, each sorrow, each sickness, everything (Alma 7:11-12 vs. 13 is a good one too!). He made it possible for us to return and live with our Father in Heaven. And why did he do it? "...that he may know according to the flesh how to csuccor his people according to their infirmities" (Alma 7:12). I love the definition of succor-to run to. He did it so that he would know exactly how to comfort and help each of us. I love Him so much! I love His gospel and I absolutely love the scriptures and the many many things they teach me each day! I love serving the Lord and just as Alma "...I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste" (Alma 36:24)! That is why I am here serving the people in Florida for 18 months. That is why when I return home I will never cease to share what I know about my Savior and His love with everyone around me. I love this work! I love my Savior and I love my God. I say these things in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment